Friday, May 30, 2014

Will Tommy Burns Be Fired?

Will Tommy Burns Be Fired?

Vice Chairman Gary A. House
Harnett County Board of Commissioners



I have received numerous communications over NC House Bill 1108 that passed through the NC House of Representatives yesterday.

I knew nothing of this bill nor did most of my colleagues in Harnett County.

Based on my interpretation of the Bill, it is a clear attempt to handcuff the current Harnett County Board of Commissioners and Harnett Board of Education in offering contracts or modifications to contracts to County Manager Tommy Burns and School Superintendent Tom Frye.

I cannot speak for the school system but since I am on the Harnett Board of Commissioners, I certainly can give my opinion of Burns,  his performance and this  Bill.

Burns currently is employed with a employment agreement.  He has no contract.  He has no severance package.  

Burns has done a fantastic job.  He does his best to treat all commissioners equally.  I have only heard glowing comments about him from employees and the public.  He has the credentials, education and experience to lead the county for numerous years.  He is local and has a vested interest in Harnett County.

He received a very favorable employee valuation about 6 months ago.

So why was House Bill 1108 introduced to NC House of Representatives?  

Normally when a local bill is presented to the House, our State delegates will receive a resolution from the Harnett County Board of Commissioners supporting it.  The majority of our County Board knew nothing of this Bill and was never asked for a resolution nor was our opinion sought.

Why was this Bill introduced in Raleigh without the County knowing about it?  I can only speculate on the reasons.  I do know  the County Board would not have passed a resolution in support.

I do know that Commissioners Joe Miller and Beatrice Hill  and I support Burns.  

For a couple of years before Burns was hired, Commissioner Jim Burgin often talked about bringing Burns in as manager one day.  He said he had a strong financial background and would a great fit for Harnett County.

When it came down to a vote, it was Miller and Hill for Burns and Burgin and Commissioner Gordon Springle for another candidate.  I was the deciding vote.  After weighing the attributes of both, I chose Burns because he had the credentials, experience and education.  He was the best choice to lead Harnett County.

In public the vote for Burns was unanimous.

I have no idea why Burgin changed his desire to have Burns as manager.  

In my opinion, Burgin has treated Burns rather coldly since he came on board a year ago.  Burns has attempted to treat all commissioners with the same respect.

If there was a commissioner pushing for Representative David Lewis to amend House Bill 1108, I can only assume that it was Burgin.  I doubt it was Springle on his own.  I know it was not Miller, Hill, or me.

Common courtesy before a local bill is introduced is for our Representative to ask the commissioners.  A lack of respect was shown to our board.

I have observed that Lewis is not too fond of Burns for some reason that I do not understand.  Proof of this was, according to Burns, a profanity laced tirade by Lewis on Burns several months back.

With all of the issues in Raleigh like fracking, medicaid, teacher salaries, Health and Human Services cuts, etc., I have to wonder why Lewis was so concerned about House Bill 1108 when the county did not ask for it.

Was it a political favor for someone?

I do know that Lewis has often inserted himself into county affairs over the last year or so in a manner that I have not seen before.  He has been overly involved in issues with the planning department bypassing the County Board with his demands.

We need a Representative in Raleigh that works on our needs at the State level and that does not meddle in county affairs.  County affairs should be handled by the commissioners.  If he wants to insert himself into county business, why doesn't he increase the amount of money that the State gives to our schools?  School system funding in Harnett County is much more important than House Bill 1108.

House Bill 1108 allows Burns to be put out on the street without cause in December without a penny.  I have had a gut feeling that was the plan for several months now.  If House Bill 1108 is passed by the Senate, Burns will be gone in my opinion.

Another grave injustice will be delivered in Harnett County.
















No comments:

Post a Comment