Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Blackburn vs. Elmore

Blackburn vs. Elmore
Vice Chairman Gary A. House
Harnett County Board of Commissioners


The great thing about America is we have freedom of choice.  That freedom includes the ability to vote for whomever we want when we enter the polling booth.

In the 2012 General Election, I know that many Republicans, members of the Harnett County Republican Executive Committee, and Republican elected officials cast their votes for two Democrats—Kim Hargrove for Register of Deeds and Marsha Johnson for Clerk of Court.

Why would such diehard conservative Republicans cross party lines and vote for Democrats?  Why would these same Republicans vote against their own executive committee chairman Danny Moody for Clerk of Court against Johnson?  The answer most often given was that Hargrove and Johnson were the best candidates for those offices.

Personally, I have always tended to vote Republican unless I thought the other candidate was a better candidate or more qualified.

When it comes to the Harnett County Commissioner seat in District 2, our choices are Republican Abe Elmore and Democrat Steve Blackburn.  Elmore served 16 years as Mayor of Dunn years ago and made at least two unsuccessful attempts at the NC House of Representatives against former Rep. Don Davis.  Blackburn, a retired fire chief at Ft. Bragg, is a newcomer to the political scene.

Elmore lives a few miles from my house and is a seasoned politician who knows how to manipulate the system.  Blackburn lives about 40 minutes from me and is quickly learning the ropes.

Blackburn has been at every Harnett County Board of Commissioners meeting and work session for almost a year.  He is putting forth the effort to learn everything he can about the operations of Harnett County.    I have not seen Elmore in our Board room in approximately the last six years.  The last time I remember seeing him there was when he was asking for money for one of his organizations.  I am perplexed why Elmore feels it is unnecessary to attend the Board meetings if he truly wants to represent 25,000 people in District 2 of Harnett County.

Blackburn seems to be more in tune with the issues across Harnett County.  I have been impressed by Blackburn when I have heard him speak.  At the Dunn Chamber Candidates’ Forum in April 2014, Blackburn proved that he has an understanding of problems we face in the county.  Elmore, on the other hand, said “I do not know much about the overcrowding of the schools in Western Harnett County because I live in Dunn.”  Overcrowding of schools is the biggest issue in which the county board must address.  Just three weeks later, a poll worker for Elmore was at the Anderson Creek polling site telling voters “Abe has a plan for the schools.”  The county has been dealing with this issue for years and Elmore came up with a plan in three weeks?  That one is hard for me to swallow.  Earlier I said Elmore knew how to manipulate the system.  This is just an example.  He knew what the people wanted to hear and had his poll worker telling voters something that was simply not true.

Blackburn, on the other hand, is aware of the school overcrowding and is turning over every stone that he can find to try to find a resolution to this problem.  I believe that Blackburn is a straight shooter and will have the interests of all Harnett County residents at heart.

In my opinion, Elmore has demonstrated that he will work for the special interests being propped up by Representative David Lewis and Commissioner Jim Burgin.  These special interests will hurt Harnett County and will eventually cause a hardship on the taxpayers and water and sewer customers of Harnett County.  I do not believe Blackburn will fall prey to the special interests.  He cares about the people of Harnett County not just a select few.

I believe that Steve Blackburn will provide the quality constituent services that I have provided while I served my two terms.  I believe Steve Blackburn will come when he is called.

For these reasons among others, I am going to cross party lines and vote for Steve Blackburn for Harnett County Commissioner in District 2.  He is simply the best candidate.


Do I have reservations about crossing the party lines?  No, I do not.  The Republican leadership did it two years ago when they voted for Hargrove and Johnson.  The Republicans need to do it again and put the best candidate in this seat, the candidate who will look after ALL of us and that is Steve Blackburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment