Thursday, February 20, 2014

Challenges Before Me Past and Present


Challenges Before Me Past and Present

By Vice Chairman Gary A. House


Upon deciding that I wanted to be a county commissioner eight years ago, I have faced many challenges. One of the most daunting challenges was facing a 16 year incumbent in a primary.  With help and energy from many friends, I prevailed in that election.  My opponent in that primary  a few years later came to me and thanked me for taking that seat.  He said if he had continued to be a commissioner, it would have killed him.

It is a much more demanding position than most people realize.  Especially, if you are a "Boots on the Ground" commissioner like I have tried to be.  It does take a lot of time and energy.  

One of the main reasons that I decided that I wanted to be a county commissioner was to ensure there was transparency and no backroom deals.  I do believe that the residents of Harnett County see much more transparency than they have seen in the past. Harnett County residents are more informed than ever before.  I have brought many problems to the fore front that have long been comfortably under a rug.  When issues did not seem to be above board, I spoke out. I never just sat on my hands and turned my head.

This open approach apparently was not the norm in the past.  A new, open style did not bode well with some in power.

As I began to unravel Harnett County, some people became very disenchanted with what I was finding. Frivolous lawsuits were filed against me in an attempt to force me to back off.  I am made of much stronger fiber than to succumb to that kind of pressure.  Much to the dismay of those few, I survived the attack on my character and the attempts to keep me quiet and to force my resignation.  Those lawsuits failed to achieve their goals because they were without merit.

Many people have told me that they would not have gone through those ordeals.  But I made a commitment to you, the people of Harnett County, to represent your interests in the best way I know how.  I have honored that commitment and I am a much stronger person for it.

One of my next challenges is in an upcoming election in May 2014.  My opponent is a seasoned politician who, no doubt, will work hard to gain this seat.

I have always viewed the seat as district 2 commissioner as a seat of you, the people, who so graciously allow me to occupy it on your behalf.  I have always been fair.  I have voted for what, in my conscience, was in the best interest of Harnett County.  My agenda is serving you.  I have stayed away from special interest groups.  I sent a strong message early in my tenure that I do not play ball.  As a result, people do not come to me for favors that are not in the best interest of the county.  

If given the opportunity, I will continue to bring these attributes to the table as your commissioner.  I will be a strong advocate for my constituents.  

I humbly ask you for  your vote on May 6, 2014.








No comments:

Post a Comment