Sunday, August 3, 2014

Shout Out to Little Greg Varner

Shout Out to Little Greg Varner
Gary A. House

Almost 14 years ago, I met an infant at Judy’s Learning Center.  This kid, Little Greg Varner from Coats, would quickly become one of my son’s best friends and one of my little buddies.

As my son Tyler and Little Greg got a little older, I had the privilege of coaching them in T-ball, coach pitch baseball, soccer, and basketball.  Little Greg quickly developed the personality that attracted many friends to him.  He has always been a joy to be around except for maybe when he and Tyler flew an endless supply of nerf darts all throughout our house.  He and Tyler always have a good time when they are together.

About the time I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, Little Greg was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes.  Juvenile diabetes can be a scary thing for eight or nine year old kid not to mention his parents and other adults.

I have to admit that I was somewhat nervous about being the one to supervise Little Greg when he came over to the house or when he went somewhere with me and Tyler.

One day at our house, I saw Little Greg pull out a needle and inject himself with insulin.  That was a vision that I could not get out of my head.  Little Greg quickly learned what he needed to do to control his diabetes.  I made up my mind right then that I would not shy away from spending time with Little Greg which would have been easy to do.

Little Greg and Tyler have spent a lot of time together since his diagnosis about 6 years ago.  They have played recreation football and middle school football together.  I again coached them in little league baseball last year.  Little Greg has even kayaked from Lillington to Erwin with us.  He has been camping with us.

He often spends time at Uwharrie camping and riding horses with his dad, Big Greg Varner.

This disease has not slowed Little Greg down in the slightest.  I know, at times, he had a hard time understanding why he developed juvenile diabetes.  He has always bounced back.  He enjoys life to the fullest.

Little Greg wants to help other kids deal with this disease.  A couple of years ago, it was his idea to participate in a walk for juvenile diabetes research in Raleigh.  My family and some other of his friends proudly went to Raleigh and walked with Little Greg.  Upon arriving I was given a pink shirt with Cowboy Up For Little Greg on it that was designed by his mother Susan Varner and Little Greg.  I often don this shirt around even on workdays to play tribute to Little Greg.

If you did not already know that Little Greg has juvenile diabetes, you probably would never know.  He does carry a black case around with his diabetic supplies.  Most people probably think it is a video game case.  He does wear a square pump on his arm that helps him monitor his condition.  He even wears it when he plays football.

Little Greg loves his football.  He called Tyler a few weeks ago and asked him to join him next week in a two week weightlifting and conditioning class to be put on by the Dunn Parks and Recreation Department.  Little Greg wants to get in shape for the upcoming middle school football season. 

One has to admire this young man in how he has tackled juvenile diabetes head on.  It does not surprise me that Little Greg has reacted this way.  He hits this disease much like he hits a tailback coming through the hole. 

I am looking forward to seeing Little Greg, Tyler and the rest of their friends on the football field this fall. 

There are no obstacles that Little Greg cannot overcome.  He has proven that to me.


Cowboy Up for Little Greg.

Note:  I call Little Greg simply Greg.  It is his mom that puts Little in front of it to distinguish him from his dad who has the same name.

No comments:

Post a Comment