Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Race Relations in Rural NC



Race Relations in Rural NC
Gary A. House


I am 48 years old.  I grew up in the outskirts of Fayetteville and Hope Mills, N.C.  I would guess that the schools that I attended were 60-70% white, 25% black, and the rest Native American, Asian and Hispanic.

Being in the classroom and playing sports allowed me to have interaction with all of the represented ethnicities.  I never remember having issues between any segments of the population.  I always felt like we were brothers and sisters.

Being on the ball field allows you to get past color barriers and allows you to see people for they really are.  Playing sports allowed us to build camaraderie and to learn how to accept those who may not be exactly like us.

I have very fond memories on the fields of Cumberland County.  Those memories are not segregated in black and white.  They are simply memories.  Those memories would not exist if it were not for people like Gerald McDowell who is black, Ernie Privette who is Native American and Mike Thompson who is white.

My adolescent years were formed by people of all races.  In the area I grew up in, there may have been an occasional fight but we were always friends afterwards.

I simply do not remember race wars or being scared to go to school.

Upon graduating, I attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  I found much of the same experiences there.  Everyone got along.  It did not matter what you looked like. 

The only time I felt uncomfortable at UNC was when Arnold Franklin, a huge football player, hosted a small party in dorm room below mine and he turned up the stereo as loud as it would go and played “Burning Down the House.”   Once I realized they were just having fun and the dorm was not going up in flames, everything was alright.

I was exposed to absolutely no racial tension in college or school.

However, I could see racial tendencies in the generation before me.  I always thought that as time went by, racial tendencies would become diluted and even though we may not look exactly alike, equality would prevail.  Racism would simply die out at some point in the future.

I have never really visited the inner city in some of our huge Metropolitan areas even though I got lost in a car in the inner city of Orlando and Atlanta.   I cannot speak for people in those areas.
I was disappointed in the reaction in Ferguson, Missouri.  It is unfortunate that Michael Brown lost his life.  I do think Officer Darren Wilson felt his life was in danger.  Officer Wilson had never fired his gun in the line of duty which shows he was not a rogue cop who shot at anyone who moved.  The Grand Jury reviewed the evidence and chose not to indict him.

Now, I have no way of knowing whether they saw all the evidence or heard all of the witnesses.  I do know three of the jurors were black and nine were white.  Was that a fair breakdown?  I don’t know based on the demographics of the area.  I do believe anyone who sits on a Grand Jury knows how serious the task at hand is.  I still believe in the inherent goodness of people including the Grand Jurors and Officer Wilson. 

Even if Officer Wilson made a grave mistake, burning down the property of innocent people and looting innocent businesses is not the way to protest.  Americans should be beyond that.  Yes, I said Americans not Black Americans.  It is time to stop with the labels and just be Americans where we care about each other. 

It tears me up to see the violence in my home country.  I want to return to the days of my youth when we were all friends.  The day that I can get an assist to Tony McKoy, throw a touchdown to Michael Foster, or compete with Gerald McDowell and we all be friends afterwards.

All of us need to open our hearts and be friends like in the days of my youth.  Opportunities need to exist for every one.  We need equality in America.

Dear God, bring back the path that I was on in the days of my youth and spread it across American soil and beyond.  Let us be like Rural NC.

We just ALL want to get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment