Sunday, January 26, 2014

River Town--Life in Harnett County

River Town--Life in Harnett County

By Gary A. House

When local author and historian Bryan K. Avery approached me many months ago about a web-based series called River Town that would depict life in Harnett County in the 1850's, I became excited and offered him much encouragement.

I have always been amazed by Mr. Avery's creativity and his ability to make things happen.  His idea to use local actors in his series certainly gives his series much local appeal.  

I had played Cornelius Harnett in the trailer to one of Mr. Avery's books and I had also played Cornelius Harnett in a monument ceremony in the Old Town of Averasborough initiated by Mr. Avery..  Through these experiences, I knew Mr. Avery's  River Town's productions would be loads of fun.

The fifth episode of River Town was filmed yesterday.  It was the first time that I had the opportunity to participate due scheduling conflicts.  It was extremely cold yesterday.  But it did not dampen the spirit of any of the River Town cast or Mr. Avery.  As always, when having the privilege of working with Mr. Avery, I  and the rest of cast had a most memorable time loaded with laughter.

Mr. Avery has brought Harnett County history alive.  I would put him right up there with authors such as Malcolm Fowler and John Hairr in helping us remember our roots.

Mr. Avery has sparked interest in our history among many of us.  Because of Mr. Avery, I have been doing my own research into the Cape Fear River in Harnett County.  Mr. Avery is always there to help answer questions for me.  Many of you have kayaked the Cape Fear River with me over the years.  The next time you go, you will hear stories such as the Legend of Big Red McNeill and will view  the hill where Matthew Smylie was shot.  Mr. Avery has brought River Town to life in film.  I am going to bring it to life by kayak.

As Mr. Avery told me from the beginning, if anyone wants to act in River Town, he will find them a place.  Bryan is a man of his word.  He has used local people just like you and me to depict life in the third largest town on the Cape Fear in the 1850's.  Local horses, mules, and dogs have also been casted.  He uses period clothing which may be a challenge sometimes.  Not everyone has clothing hanging in their closets from the 1850's except Linda Overby.  Actors attempt to use language from the 1850's even though it hard for those from Harnett, Sampson and Cumberland Counties to refrain from using our present day slang..

I encourage you all to participate in an upcoming episode of River Town.  You will have the time of your life and learn some history too.

The first four episodes can be found of YouTube.  I also encourage you to visit the FaceBook page "Welcome to River Town" administered by local attorney and River Town actor Jason Wunsch.

The fifth episode should premier in a month or two at the County Seat Restaurant in Lillington owned and operated by Terence and Sharona Stokes.

Keep an eye out on the FaceBook page for the date and I hope to see you there....






No comments:

Post a Comment