Thursday, June 26, 2014

Being Brutally Honest

Being Brutally Honest

Gary A. House
Vice Chairman Harnett County Board of Commissioners


I realize that this blog will upset both Democrats and Republicans but sometimes you have to be brutally honest.  It is not meant to offensive.  It is meant to be constructive.

I have listened to many people from both parties in Harnett County express their opinions over the years.  Some I agree with.  Some I disagree with.  Some I think are grossly exaggerated.

I have heard Republicans state that the Democratic leaders “dumb down” their constituents.  By this, I believe they mean that the Democratic leaders, in order to stay in power, keep accurate information from their constituents.  They want to hold them down so they will blindly follow.  They do not teach them the ways to better themselves.  They teach them that they are owed entitlements. 

I have heard Democrats say that Republicans are the wealthy in our society and they should subsidize the poor.  I have heard Democrats say that Republicans are given economic advantages that others are not given and they should be taxed more to redistribute the wealth.

Do I believe what I have heard Republicans and Democrats say about each other?  No, I do not.  I think those opinions are exaggerated on both sides.  The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I know wealthy Democrats and I know wealthy Republicans.  I know poor Democrats and I know poor Republicans.

The circumstances in which we are born often determine our lot in life, if we let it.  I believe people can overcome anything if they have the desire to succeed.

The great equalizer is education.  A good education is the foundation for the growth of a person and exponentially increases the chance for having a better life.  That foundation must be laid at a young age.

We, as residents of Harnett County and North Carolina, should demand that our educational standards be raised.  This is not a Democrat or Republican issue.  This is a people issue.  We are a village and we have a responsibility to give our children a realistic chance of being good productive citizens with a good quality of life.

Yes, it does start at home.  Children need strong guidance from both mothers and fathers.  They also need a strong spiritual foundation.  Unfortunately, a lot of children are not fortunate enough to have this foundation laid for them.
Schools play a vital role in the formation of our future leaders.  Our schools are an integral part of our village.  We need to give our children the resources and environment that are conducive to learning.

No, I do not believe throwing a bunch of money at problems such as overcrowded schools is necessarily the right and whole answer.  But I do know that not supplying the Harnett County School system with the funds and buildings it needs to educate our children is not the answer either.  Whatever funds are given to the school system should be used wisely and monitored closely.  It is imperative that we, the village, help the schools much more than we currently do.

We need more teachers, teacher assistants, books, greater supplements, and more buildings.  We have to give the resources to the teachers that they need in order for them to do their jobs effectively and efficiently.  The school system and teachers need help in fostering the growth and development of our students. 

I have heard many Republicans say that education is mandatory for a successful life.  The time has come for Republicans to honor what they say.  The tea party movement has brainwashed many Republicans.  I do not like taxes any more than any of you.  But being fiscally responsible should make Republicans and Democrats alike in Harnett County realize that our schools are suffering.  Our teachers are suffering and our children our suffering.

We are NOT going to receive help from the Federal or State government.  We, the village, have to stand up to the plate----All of us.

No matter whether you are Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, or Unaffiliated, we need to put our hardcore political philosophies aside and do what is in the best interest of Harnett County. 


We must invest in our schools and the education of our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment