Saturday, December 21, 2013

The "New" Iron Triangle

The "New" Iron Triangle
By Commissioner Gary A. House


Recently, my good friend Larry Parker also known as the Old Master wrote a column in the Dunn Daily Record that indicated that a new iron triangle may be forming among the Harnett County Board of Commissioners.

I have always touted the Old Master's accuracy rating as 95% to 99%.  I almost always agree with his writings and predictions.  He almost always hits the nail on the head.

However, in this instance, the Old Master read his crystal ball incorrectly.

It was the Old Master that coined former Chairman Tim McNeill, former Commissioner Dan Andrews, and Commissioner Beatrice Hill as the The Iron Triangle.  There were lots of 3 to 2 votes of the County Board during McNeill's reign as chairman.  Commissioner Jim Burgin and I almost always were the 2 in those votes.

The Iron Triangle appeared to stick together no matter what.

Well, McNeill gave up his seat to run unsuccessfully for NC State Senate and Andrews lost his seat to Gordon Springle in 2012.  Thus, The Iron Triangle was broken.

I know that many assumed that there would be another iron triangle between Burgin, Springle and me.  Needing a new chairman, I nominated Burgin.  He became the chairman in 2012 on a 3 to 2 vote.

The assumption that another iron triangle between Burgin, Springle, and me proved to be false rather quickly in 2013.  I have never and will never vote against what I believe is in the best interest of Harnett County.

Burgin and I talked many times about the need to rotate the chairman each year like some other counties do.
When the time came in 2013 for the annual reorganization of the board, Hill nominated Commissioner Joe Miller to be chairman.  Commissioner Springle nominated Burgin.  Agreeing with Burgin in our past conversations, I saw the need to rotate the chairman each year so I cast my vote for Miller.

That vote is apparently why the Old Master thinks there may be another "New" Iron Triangle forming between Miller, Hill and me.

I have enjoyed getting to know Miller and Hill since the current board was formed.

No, there was no deal of any kind between Miller, Hill, and me over vote for chairman nor over any lawsuit.

I never talked to Miller or Hill about dropping any lawsuit.

I never talked to Miller about voting for him to be chairman.  Hill talked to me about the new chairmanship but even she did not know how I was going to vote that day.

The casting of my vote for Miller was, in my opinion, in the best interest of Harnett County for the upcoming year.

I will continue to vote for what I think is best and will not be part of any iron triangle.  I will vote my conscience regardless of which commissioner supports or opposes certain issues.

I truly believe this is the way all governments should function.

So Old Master, I am sorry to report that you called this one wrong.  There is no "New" Iron Triangle.  That philosophy left when McNeill and Andrews walked out the door.

I have faith that the Old Master will call the next 99 correctly.

I forever will be a fan of the Old Master......



No comments:

Post a Comment